The Ashleys

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Christianity- a moral compass for America?

Warning! This blog is a lot of rambling. It's just random thoughts I've been having over the past few weeks, and I feel like some people need a better explanation of why I'm a liberal and it's not because a once good Christian girl has turned her back on Jesus and Christianity.

I grew up in a small town in western Kentucky and I'm still in touch with a lot of the people that I went to high school with. A lot of people in my later life do not realize like they do that I was raised in one of the strictest of christian house holds. I was raised that a woman shouldn't wear pants, or cut her hair, or wear jewelry, or paint her nails. Like most religions we were taught that sex before marriage is a sin among other things. I think it shocks a lot of people that I'm a liberal but what most don't realize is I'm a liberal BECAUSE of the way I was raised, not in spite of it. 

I believe in separation of church and state because it protects not only people who aren't christian but it protects a church that I was raised to love and support without government interference to tell our pastor what to preach and teach.. 

I was taught not to take part of the bible if you're not going to take all of the bible. If we're going to tell two men they can't get married because being gay is a sin, then we must tell people who have "fornicated" they can't be married because they're sinners as well. If we're going to tell a gay couple they can't raise children because being gay is a sin we must remove all children from divorced homes because according to the bible that's a sin too. 

If we're going to use your religion as a way to tell a woman what she can and can not do with her body, then you need to use the scripture.
 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. 1  Cor 11:15
and
“The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.” Deut 22:5

Do you realize how up in arms this country would be if we used Christianity to tell people who they could and could not marry based on scripture?

Do you realize how up in arms this country would be if we used Christianity to tell people what they could and could not do with their bodies based on scripture??

Oh that's what the GOP wants to do, but only their version. If we're going to use religion as law in this country, we're no better than the Middle East. 

As a Christian I was taught love, tolerance, understanding, and rather than forcing my beliefs on others I was taught to live the life and let others see Christ in me. I was taught to help the less fortunate. Jesus was a man who healed the sick, fed the poor, and condemned the greedy rich. He sure sounds like a liberal to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment